What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine (Naturopathy) is a science-based tradition that promotes wellness by identifying the unique aspects of each patient and then employing non-toxic natural therapies to restore his or her physiological, and structural balance. Naturopathy emphasizes prevention of illness and the self-healing process through the use of natural therapies.
The spectrum of treatment for a Naturopath is more than just fasting, nutrition, water and exercise. It includes other natural healing practices, such as, Homeopathy, Acupuncture, Herbal Medicine, and more modern methods, such as Bioresonance.
In today’s modern times, where technology, environmental pollution, poor diet and stress play a large role in the degradation of health, a Naturopath’s ability to apply natural methods of healing is of a considerable importance.
What are the Principles of Naturopathic Medicine?
The principles of Naturopathy were first used in around 400 BC by the Greek philosopher Hippocrates, who believed in viewing the whole person in regards to finding a cure for the disease, and using the laws of nature to induce care. It was from this original school of thought that Naturopathy takes its principles. These are:
- The healing power of nature – The body has an inherent ability to maintain and restore health. Naturopathic physicians facilitate this healing process by removing obstacles to cure and identifying treatments to enhance healing.
- Identify and treat the cause – A naturopath will treat the underlying cause of the disease and not just the symptoms. Symptoms are an external manifestation of an internal imbalance which could be from any physical, mental or emotional causes. Symptom management is important but it is more important not to disregard the underlying cause of disease.
- Do no harm – A Naturopath will never use treatments that may create other conditions. A naturopathic treatment plan uses therapies that are gentle, non-invasive, effective and do not have adverse side effects. A conscious effort is made to employ methods that do not suppress symptoms.
- The Naturopath as a teacher – The primary role of a Naturopath is in educating, empowering and motivating individuals to assume more personal responsibility for their health by adopting a healthy attitude, lifestyle and diet. It is much more effective to teach than to treat patients.
- Treat the whole person – A Naturopath will identify specific weaknesses in their patients and will tailor treatment based upon the individual’s needs. It is the patient that is in need and not the disease state or symptoms. All aspects of a person’s being need to be taken into consideration.
- Prevention is better that cure – It is far easier and cheaper to prevent a disease than to treat a disease. A Naturopath will evaluate all the information necessary to uncover potential susceptibilities to future disease states in their patients. They can discuss specific lifestyle strategies or nutritional supplementation as a means for disease prevention.
- A Naturopath’s role is to empower the patient to take responsibility for their own health.
How will Naturopathic Medicine benefit me?
The benefits of Naturopathy are endless. Aside from being totally natural, drug free, safe and effective, Naturopath’s are also often successful at treating chronic conditions that don’t respond to conventional medicine.
Here are a few common conditions treated with Naturopathy:
- Allergies (hay fever, food sensitivities, allergic rhinitis)
- Arthritis, rheumatism, osteoporosis
- Anxiety and depression
- Chronic fatigue
- Candida (thrush) and recurrent infections
- Fibromyalgia, muscle spasm
- Healthy anti- aging therapy
- Digestive disorders (IBS, reflux, colitis, constipation)
- Insomnia, sleep apnea
- Migraine, headache and TMJ
- Poor immunity
- Inflammatory conditions
- Women’s health (endometriosis, PMS,PCOS, menstrual irregularities,menopause)
- Men’s health (enlarged prostate, libido)
- Skin disorders
- Weight management, water retention and cellulite
There are no limits with what Naturopathic Medicine can be used for. For all ages, gender, shapes and sizes, in good health or not so good health. Naturopathy is for everyone and the benefits to health are endless.